Main Article Content
Purpose: This study aims to determine HRM practices prior to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic and identify the role of HR in managing company sustainability in the Covid-19 pandemic situation.
Research methods: The research uses a qualitative approach through the case study method. Data collection techniques through participatory observation and interviews with 1 key informant and 8 supporting informants who are employees of the hotel. Qualitative data analysis starts from data reduction, data presentation and then drawing conclusions.
Result and discussion: The results of the study revealed that HRM practices prior to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic were carried out in accordance with applicable standard operating procedures related to recruitment and selection, training and human resource development, and performance appraisal. In the Covid-19 condition, HR plays a role in empowering human resources, carrying out economic activities, generating profits and maintaining service quality to get customer satisfaction.
Implications: Several theoretical reviews reveal corporate sustainability indicators such as human resource empowerment, economy, profit and customer satisfaction. While the results of this study provide color to the theory of corporate sustainability by presenting the owner and technology as the main role in the company's sustainability.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Agarwal, P. (2020). Shattered but smiling: Human resource management and the wellbeing of hotel employees during COVID-19. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 93 (November 2020), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.102765.
- Andresen, M., & Nowak, C. (2015). Human Resource Management Practices. Assessing Added Value (M. Andresen & C. Nowak (eds.)). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-08186-1.
- Boselie, P. (2014). Strategic human resource management: A balanced approach (2nd ed.). McGraw Hill.
- Chien, G. C. L., & Law, R. (2003). The impact of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome on hotels: a case study of Hong Kong. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 22(3), 327–332. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-4319(03)00041-0.
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Qualitative inquiry & research design. Choosing among five approaches (3rd ed.). Sage. https://books.google.co.id/books?id=OJYEbDtkxq8C&printsec=frontcover&hl=id#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Delery, J. E., & Doty, D. H. (1996). Modes Of Theorizing In Strategic Human Resource Management: Tests Of Universalistic, Contingency, And Configurational Performance Predictions. Academy of Management Journal, 39(4), 802–835. https://doi.org/10.1215/S0012-7094-99-09901-5
- Dewi, N. W. B. P., Ernawati, N. M., & Mudana, I. G. (2021). Courtyard by Marriott Bali Nusa Dua Resort : A Support for Employee Productivity during the Covid-19 Pandemic. JURNAL BALI MEMBANGUN BALI, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.51172/jbmb
- Ehnert, I. (2009). Sustainability and human resource management: Reasoning and applications on corporate websites. European Journal of International Management, 3(4), 419–438. https://doi.org/10.1504/EJIM.2009.028848
- Engert, S., Rauter, R., & Baumgartner, R. J. (2016). Exploring the integration of corporate sustainability into strategic management: a literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 112, 2833–2850. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.08.031
- Friedman, M. (2007). The Social Responsibility of Business Is to Increase Its Profits. In Corporate Ethics and Corporate Governance (pp. 173–178). Springer Berlin Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-70818-6_14
- Garrido-Moreno, A., García-Morales, V. J., & Martín-Rojas, R. (2021). Going beyond the curve: Strategic measures to recover hotel activity in times of COVID-19. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 96(April). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2021.102928
- Hao, F., Xiao, Q., & Chon, K. (2020). International Journal of Hospitality Management COVID-19 and China ’ s Hotel Industry : Impacts , a Disaster Management Framework , and Post-Pandemic Agenda. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 90(July), 102636. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2020.102636
- Harjanti, S. (2004). Menciptakan Keunggulan Bersaing Yang Berkelanjutan Melalui Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia. Jurnal Ekonomi Dan Kewirausahaan, 4(1), 41–55. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1751-8113/44/8/085201
- Harry, W. (2014). The Relevance of the Vision of Sustainability to HRM Practice (pp. 401–419). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-37524-8_18
- Inkinen, S., Williams, V., & Hoque, W. M. (2021). Effect of Contingency Planning on Survival of the Hotels in California , USA amid COVID 19 pandemic. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 4(2), 11–19. https://stratfordjournals.org/journals/index.php/Journal-of-Hospitality/article/view/848
- Lai, I. K. W., & Wong, J. W. C. (2020). Comparing crisis management practices in the hotel industry between initial and pandemic stages of COVID-19. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(10), 3135–3156. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-04-2020-0325
- Lozano, R. (2012). Towards better embedding sustainability into companies’ systems: an analysis of voluntary corporate initiatives. Journal of Cleaner Production, 25, 14–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.11.060
- Mansour, M. (2013). Evaluation of Training in Organizations: An Empirical Investigation from a Developing Country. International Journal of Education and Research, 1(6), 1–9.
- Maroudas, L., Kyriakidou, O., & Vacharis, A. (2008). Employees’ motivation in the luxury hotel industry: the perceived effectiveness of human-resource practices. Managing Leisure, 13(3–4), 258–271. https://doi.org/10.1080/13606710802200969
- Mirzapour, M., Toutian, S. S., Mehrara, A., & Khorrampour, S. (2019). The strategic role of human resource management in crisis management considering the mediating role of organizational culture. International Journal of Human Capital in Urban Management (IJHCUM), 4(1), 43–50. https://doi.org/10.22034/IJHCUM.2019.01.05
- Missimer, M., Robèrt, K.-H., & Broman, G. (2016). A strategic approach to social sustainability – Part 2: a principle-based definition. Journal of Cleaner Production, 140, 42–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.04.059
- Nickson, D. (2007). Human resource management for the hospitality and tourism industries. Elsevier.
- Nuruddin, Wirawan, P. E., Pujiastuti, S., & Astuti, N. N. S. (2020). Strategi Bertahan Hotel di Bali Saat Pandemi Covid-19. Jurnal Kajian Bali (Journal of Bali Studies), 10(2), 579–602. https://doi.org/10.24843/jkb.2020.v10.i02.p11
- Puspita, N. P. L. A., Astawa, I. P., & Mudana, I. G. (2021). Hotel Strategy in Facing the Covid-19 Pandemic (The Westin Resort Nusa Dua Experience). International Journal of Glocal Tourism, 2(1).
- Şendoğdu, A. A., Kocabacak, A., & Güven, Ş. (2013). The Relationship between Human Resource Management Practices and Organizational Commitment: A Field Study. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 99, 818–827. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.10.553
- Shil, M., Zayed, N. M., Barman, R. C., Shahi, S. K., & Neloy, A. H. (2020). Global Transition of HR Practices In Covid-19 Pandemic Situation : A Systematic Review Through 5p ’ S Model Of HRM. Management and Human Resource Research Journal, 9(6), 50–57. www.cird.online/MHRRJ
- Supriyadi. (2013). Konsep Dan Model Pengukuran Corporate Sustainability : Sebuah Kajian Literatur. STAR-Study & Accounting Research, x(3), 13–28.
- van Esch, E., Wei, L. Q., & Chiang, F. F. T. (2016). High-performance human resource practices and firm performance: the mediating role of employees’ competencies and the moderating role of climate for creativity. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2016.1206031
- Vardarlıer, P. (2016). Strategic Approach to Human Resources Management During Crisis. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 235, 463–472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.11.057
- Young-Thelin, L., & Boluk, K. (2012). A Case Study of Human Resource Practices in Small Hotels in Sweden. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 11(4), 327–353. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332845.2012.690683