Main Article Content
Purpose: This study aims to determine the psychological condition of the people in Denpasar City, seen from the phenomenon of the trend of choosing color paint for homes during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Research method: The survey was conducted in 12 paint shops and buildings spread across Denpasar City. The method used is structured interviews. The research method is qualitative with descriptive presentation. The results of data mining were studied using color psychology theory.
Results and discussion: Based on the results of the study, it shows that the choice of white and bright colors has implications for the desire of the community to create peaceful, calm, clean and pleasant conditions in their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Implication: The color selection implicitly shows the expectations of the people of Denpasar City. Hopes for a better future, which had rocked many sectors of life during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Adams, F. M., & Osgood, C. E. (1973). A Cross-Cultural Study of the Affective Meanings of Color. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 4(2), 135–156. https://doi.org/10.1177/002202217300400201
- Aditama, PW Aditama; Setiawan, INAF. (2020). Indigenous Bali on Augmented Reality as a Creative Solution in Industrial Revolution 4.0. Journal of Physics. 1471, p. 12008.
- Aditama, PW; Seiawan, INAF; Radhitya, ML; Ariningsih, KA. (2020). Melajah Pupuh BALI Application "Anggita" As A Medium Of Learning In Multimedia, Journal of Physics, 1516, p. 12030.
- Birren, F. (2016). Color Psychology and Color Therapy; A Factual Study Of The Influence of Color On Human Life. Hauraki Publishing.
- Butterfield, L. M. (1990). Contemporary Danish Fiber Art: The Interpretation of Meaning. [Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation]. University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN.
- D’Andrade, R., & Egan, M. (1974). The Colors of Emotion. American Ethnologist, 1(1), 49–63. https://doi.org/10.1525/ae.1974.1.1.02a00030
- Elliot, A. J., Fairchild, M. D., & Franklin, A. (2015). Handbook of Color Psychology. http://ezproxy.usherbrooke.ca/login?url=https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107337930
- Epstein, S. (1994). Integration of the Cognitive and The Psychodynamic Unconscious. American Psychologist, 49(8), 709–724. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.49.8.709
- Helmholtz, H. von. (1867). Treatise on Physiological Optics. Courier Corporation.
- Herring, B. S., & Bryden, M. P. (1970). Memory Colour Effects as A Function of Viewing Time. Canadian Journal of Psychology/Revue Canadienne de Psychologie, 24(2), 127–132. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0082840
- Holden, T. J. M. (1997). The Color of Meaning: The Significance of Black and White in Television Commercials. Interdisciplinary Information Sciences, 3(2), 125–146.
- Juniartini, Ni Luh Putu; Juniartha, I Wayan; Setiawan, I Nyoman Anom Fajaraditya. (2020). The Distribution Process of the Housing Stimulant Grants Program (BSPS) during COVID-19 Pandemic Situation in Muncan Village, Karangasem Regency. Jurnal Bali Membangun Bali, Volume 1, Number 3, December; Retrieved from: http://ejournal.baliprov.go.id/index.php/jbmb/article/view/110.
- Kaya, N., & Epps, H. H. (2004). Relationship Between Color and Emotion: A Study of College Student. College Student Journal, 396–405.
- Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (2010). Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and Its Challenge to Western Thought (Nachdr.). Basic Books.
- Lang, P. J. (1979). A Bio-Informational Theory of Emotional Imagery. Psychophysiology, 16(6), 495–512. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8986.1979.tb01511.x
- Mahnke, F. F. (1996). Color, Environment, and Human Response: An Interdisciplinary Understanding of Color and Its Use As a Beneficial Element in the Design of the Architectural Environment. /paper/Color%2C-Environment%2C-and-Human-Response%3A-An-of-ColorMahnke/28cd377c3368333cc7ea5605106ab8144b576257
- Milmo, S. (2020, November 10). Covid-19 Influences Color Trends—Coatings World. https://www.coatingsworld.com/issues/2020-11-01/view_europe-reports/Covid-19-influences-color-trends/
- Ou, L.-C., Luo, M. R., Woodcock, A., & Wright, A. (2004). A Study of Colour Emotion and Colour Preference. Part I: Colour Emotions for Single Colours. Color Research & Application, 29(3), 232–240. https://doi.org/10.1002/col.20010
- Palmer, S. E., & Schloss, K. B. (2010). An ecological Valence Theory of Human Color Preference. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 107(19), 8877–8882. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0906172107
- Palmer, S. E., Schloss, K. B., Xu, Z., & Prado-León, L. R. (2013). Music–Color Associations are Mediated by Emotion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(22), 8836–8841. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1212562110
- Robinson, M. D., & Fetterman, A. K. (2014). Toward a Metaphor-Enriched Personality Psychology. Dalam M. Landau, M. D. Robinson, & B. P. Meier (Ed.), The Power of Metaphor: Examining its Influence on Social Life. (hlm. 133–152). American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/14278-007
- Sharpe, D. T. (1974). The Psychology of Color and Design. Nelson-Hall Co.
- Valdez, P., & Mehrabian, A. (1994). Effects of Color on Emotions. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 123(4), 394–409. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-3418.104.22.1684.
- Yasa, I Gusti Wayan Murjana. (2020). Bali in the Covid-19 Pandemic: Population and Employment Dilemmas, Jurnal Bali Membangun Bali, Volume 1, Number 3, December; http://ejournal.baliprov.go.id/index.php/jbmb/article/view/137.